Monday, January 26, 2009

Kava, South Pacific Beer...or dirty dishwater?

Well, I have officially been here at the Prison for over a month. So far it doesn't seem to bad, although I don't expect to be doing to much agricultural work, which is a major bummer. I expect that I will most likely be teaching guards here at the prison how to use programs on the computer, and helping out with grants. I think. I have met some of the prisoners and most of the guards. They are all very nice people, but sometimes it is not hard to remind myself that I am on a prison. I usually drink kava with the guards and prisoners on Friday nights, btu because it tastes horrible and makes me extremely tired I usually only sit with them for about 2 hours and then I go home and go to sleep. Last Friday some of the other volunteers and I went to the Sundowner social that is held the first friday of every month for the volunteer community at the Australian High commisson. I was able to meet a few of teh AUstralian volunteers and it was a good chance to relax and unwind. It has been extremely hot these last several days, so I have been greatful that the Peace Corps office has Air conditioning and I can relax on the weekend. Hope all is going well with everyone back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment